2 Day Navigation Course for Runners/Walkers - Basic Navigation Techniques (Bronze Award for the NNAS)
Date: 15th & 16th April 2016
Who is it for?
- Those who want to have a National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) Bronze Award
- Anybody looking to pass their Walking Leader Qualification (this will act as course work and is not a counting course towards that qualification)
- Anybody who wants to get a further and deeper understanding of navigation using a map & compass that a 1 day course cannot offer
- For use when planning your walks for your groups
- Personal use for venturing into the hills & mountains
- Those who want to start trail running in the mountains
What are the benefits?
- Gain a deeper understanding on how to use a map & compass in order to navigate a chosen route, across different scales of maps.
- Grow your confidence to take people further afield, but with-in your qualification's perimeter's
- Gain a bronze NNAS certificate to show you have the skills (personal development)
- Use this course to help you gain your Walking Leader Qualification (It will set you on the right track, giving you a good understanding of navigation, not give you the course work or qualification)
- Increase your earning potential by being able to plan breath taking routes
What will I learn?
- How to read a map, understand contours & features
- How to use a compass in conjunction with your map
- How to orientate your map
- How to relate land features around you accurately to your map
- How to use features along your chosen route to identify your location at any given moment
- How to set a bearing
- How to re-locate, should you become miss-placed (we don't like to say lost!)
- How to use timing and pacing in order to find your chosen control point
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Countryside Code, knowledge of what equipment is suitable for the fells and emergency procedures that are relevant
- How to plan a route
- Some safe navigational techniques
- Identify hazards
Level and entry requirements
This is an entry-level course into navigation for personal development & will give you a NNAS (National Navigation Award Scheme) Bronze Award, assuming you are able to demonstrate a good understanding and application of the skills being learnt on the course.
No qualifications are needed in order to participate on this 2 day course.
What do I need?
Harvey/BMC 1:40'000 map of the Lake District
Full waterproof cover (Jacket and Pants), these must be taped seems, please call to discuss if your not sure.
Clothing suitable for the countryside & time of year - We will not be moving quickly, so please account for that in your clothing selection.
1 spare warm top, not cotton please. Wool or synthetic will be fine
Spare clothing for day 2, should your day 1 clothing get wet.
Suitable footwear for wet ground, preferably off road walking/running shoes suitable for NW. Sealskin socks might be a bonus in wet weather.
Hat & Gloves x 2
Lunch, day-food & a hot drink or water flask.
Mountain Run will supply:
- A map of the local area we are to use
- The location is Helvellyn YHA, Greenside, Glenridding, CA11 0QR.
- Tea/Coffee at the event location.
- Notes for you to take away, as there is always a lot to absorb.
- A NNAS Bronze Award certificate, assuming you demonstrate a good understanding of the 2 days of learning & application.
UK deliveries are now FREE, for any value of order.
This service will be generally a 2 to 3 day delivery, once the item is produced & despatched (see below), unless you are living outside the mainland UK, in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland or Off Shore Islands, such as Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man & also Northern Ireland.
We do not offer next day delivery at present.
Please be aware that True Mountain products are made to order at present & therefore we quote a "5 day" despatch time scale. This is the time scale for the product to be ordered & then despatched, not the projected delivery timescale.
True Mountain are a small UK based company with quality at the top end of the scale. They are different from most other outdoor brands that we know about. True Mountain design and manufacture in the UK only, they source their materials from within the UK when possible & only source as far as the EU borders. By doing this, they produce some of the most ethical UK outdoor clothing & equipment that we know about. True Mountain also make to order. This means when you order a True Mountain (TM) product, we send the order through to TM in preston & their team of specialised machinists & cutters set to work on producing 'your' product. Inevitably this takes a little more time, but at least you know that the item you have ordered hasn't been made in a sweat box factory in another country.
We hope you will appreciate this fact & accept that your product might take a week or slightly more to arrive at your doorstep. Where ever possible we & True Mountain will try to make sure your products arrive as early as possible, but please allow a week from ordering to delivery.
We will always endeavour to keep you up to date with your order, but please feel free to email us to find out where on the production line your product is.
Learn more about the True Mountain Team HERE
You’re welcome to return certain goods within 30 days of receipt for a full refund. They must:
- be in what we consider to be a new condition
- have labels & packaging (such as shoe boxes) undamaged
- include the original receipt / delivery note. Take a copy for yourself if you want
If this is not the case we reserve the right to refund only partially, the exact amount to be at our discretion.
Please download a PDF returns document HERE
You must obtain a RETURNS NUMBER by emailing us - email@example.com.
The returns address is:
Returns Dept., Mountain-Lite, Unit 14, Riversway Workshops, Leeward Road, Preston, PR2 2TE
Learn more about Delivery & Returns.